By Scrubadoo‘s Jen Hankin
Life is stressful. But it doesn’t have to get the best of you. Take a look at our collection of 10 cheap ways to de-stress when the going gets tough!
1. Act Like A Kid: Just because you are a grown up doesn’t mean you have to act like one all the time. Sometimes just throwing back and having a good old time like you did back in the day can really wash the stress away.
Tip: Reflect on your favorite childhood pastimes
2. Give A Little Goes A Long Way: Volunteer your time or expertise for a little pick me up. Nothing feels better than giving to those less fortunate. As a medical professional, you have a vast knowledge, so why not share it with those less fortunate?
Tip: Read a story to sick children, work at a clinic, or just Google volunteer and your town to see all the opportunities available.
3. Laugh: Call up your funniest friend for a quality chuckle. It’s been scientifically proven that laughter is both preventive and therapeutic. It decreases your stress hormone levels and boosts healthy hormones, like endorphins, strengthens your immune system.
Tip: No funny friends? Just YouTube your favorite comedian
4. Sleep: It seems so simple. A good night’s rest can be an excellent stress buster. Just make sure you’ve got surroundings that promote good quality rest. A dark, cool, quiet room with few electronics is best. Trouble sleeping? Try an herbal tea and a hot bath.
Tip: Just sleep it off.
5. Cook A Delicious Dinner: Avoid fast food when your feeling stress. Your body won’t respond well to the lack of nutrients. Instead try out a new, healthy recipe and make a night out of it. Use the cooking experience to slow down.
Tip: Check out pinterst for some awesome recipes and don’t forget a glass of wine and your favorite music!
6. Go For A Wandering Walk: Grab your sneakers and your iPod and just walk. Explore a new path or different street. The new atmosphere will open up your senses and the fresh air will do your body good.
Tip: Check out a new park in your area.
7. Pump Some Iron: Whether you’re exhausted, frustrated, or just plain stressed-out, nothing beats the blues like getting your blood pumping. Hit your local gym and burn some calories while busting that bad mood.
Tip: Go with a friend.
8. Plan Ahead: Got too much going on and not enough time? Put a To-Do list together and actively check items off. Prioritize your list and set realistic goals. You’d be surprised at how much you can check off once its all written out.
Tip: Grab some colored pens, everything is more fun with colors!
9. Get Organized: Can’t find your keys? Have no idea where your work badge has gotten to? And you swear your scrubs have grown legs and walked off? Take a Saturday afternoon to roll up your sleeves and get your living space in order. It’s amazing what coming home to a clean, organized home can do.
Tip: Turn up the jams and rock out to so music while cleaning.
10. Read a Good Book: Curl up with your favorite novel and get lost in those characters. Taking time to expand you mind and drift off to another time and space can have a calming effect.
Tip: Check out the New York Times Bestsellers List.